The 12th century St.Mary’s Church was part of the Abbas Combe Manor along with the Benedictine Nunnery of Shaftesbury, founded in 888 AD by Alfred the Great, whose second daughter Ethelgeda was its Abbess.
The stone church of St.Mary’s in Templecombe, dressed with Hamstone and a roof consisting of 500 year old clay tiles. It contains a two-bay chancel with northern chapel and vestries. A four bay nave with a northern aisle, a south chapel, a southern tower over the porch, and south transept.
Located at the churches southern end stands a two-stage 13th century tower, which stands upon Saxon foundations. In the 15th century, when upper sections of the tower were re-built, buttresses were added.
The Church Bells: The oldest bell dates back to 1420, and cast by the Salisbury foundry. Two further bells were added in 1656, cast by Robert Purdue, and in 1736 two donated by Thomas Bilbie, with the last bell in 1891, making a peel of six bells. What a wondrous sound to behold.
The church contains a 12th century Purbeck Marble Font, with a 19th century cover.
The Church plate includes a cup and cover dating back to 1628, two square salvers of 1725 by Anthony Nelson, and a flagon of 1845.
In 1721 a west gallery was added, renovated in 1846, and removed in 1864.
In 1834 the north aisle was added. In 1864, the chancel was rebuilt, vestries added, new windows installed in the nave and south chapel.