Jerusalem lies at the centre of all medieval maps, and became the centre of the crusader’s world. This became known throughout the world, as the most sacred place in the most sacred city, the supposed site of the burial of Jesus: The Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
It was here, the Crusader’s inherited a round church, and it was the goal of every pilgrim, who came under the protection of the Knights Templar, to reach the holiest site of all, and give prayer to their God. For this was the building of all buildings on earth, that must be defended at all costs from its enemies… Many would lay down their lives, defending it at all costs.
The Templar’s built many round churches across Europe, and recreated the sanctity of the most holy place: The Church of the Holy Sepulchre. In their eyes they believed if one was buried in a round church, it was as though they had been buried in Jerusalem.
One who would be honoured in this way was William the Marshal, Earl of Pembroke who died in 1219, he had been adviser to King John and Regent to the boy King: Henry III.
Marshal who had taken the cross as an old man, laid recumbent with effigies of his sons in defence of their father.