What is the Turin Shroud?
The Turin Shroud is a linen cloth, measuring 4.37 metres in length and 1.13 metres wide. It is the cloth, which was used to wrap the naked body of Jesus Christ, when taken down from the cross and placed in his tomb, by Joseph of Arimathae.
Upon the cloth, one can observe a faint image of a naked man, purported to be displaying a beard. Marks would indicate where they crucified him upon the cross, nailing him through his hands and feet. One can observe the mark, where he bled, when a Roman soldier, thrust his spear into his side.
In 1204, Knights Templar obtained what is known as the Turin Shroud, as Constantinople fell to the crusaders, in the Fourth Crusade.
Knight Templar, Geoffrey de Charney had been burnt alongside Jaques de Molay at the stake, on charges of heresy on the 18th March 1314, in the shadow of the Notre Dame in Paris.
Madame de Charney, the widow of Geoffrey de Charney’s bephew, produced the cloth, the “Shroud of Turin” in 1357. It was put up on display in a church in Troyes, France. The Cluny Museum of Paris displays the arms of De Charney, along with a pilgrim medallion showing the Shroud.
In 1453, Margaret de Charney, bequeathed the Shroud to the House of Savoy.
In 1532, the Shroud suffered from fire damage, where it was being be stored; the Chambery Chapel in the Savoy region. Poor Clare Nuns repaired the damage using patches to the rear.
In 1578, the Shroud was transferred to Turin.
Repairs to the Shroud were undertaken in 1694 by Sebastian Valfre, in 1868 by Clotilde of Savoy. Then in 1983 the Shroud was given to the Holy See.
In 1997, fire threatened the Shroud, and in 2002, the cloth was restored.
(Image) Turin Shroud: ancient-origins