The village of Templecombe according to the Domesday Book consisted of two estates:
- Abbas Combe Manor: The Benedictine Nunnery of Shaftesbury, founded in 888 AD by Alfred the Great, whose second daughter Ethelgeda was its Abbess.
- Abbas Combe included the 12th century St.Mary’s Church, which extended northwards, along the north-south route through the parish. The Abbey at Shaftesbury was its parent house, the major convent in England at the time. Temple Combe included the Templar preceptory buildings, laying along the same route. By the 1830’s the two settlements were linked by buildings along the main road.
- Temple Combe Manor: This estate was originally held by the Earl Leofwine then passed to Bishop Odo of Bayeux and confiscated in 1088.
- In 1185 the manor was held by Serlo Fitz Odo, who passed it to the Knights Templar. In 1307 the Templar Order was suppressed, and the estate passed to the Crown. Templar lands and property passed to the Knights Hospitaller in 1332, and retained by them until the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
- Following the “Dissolution of the Monasteries” ordered by King Henry VIII, the Manor passed to William Sherrington, and later purchased by Richard Duke around 1563. Much of the Templar Preceptory building was demolished, providing stone for a new Manor house.
The Preceptory served as an administrative centre for Templar lands in the south-western parts of England and Cornwall. History tells us, that men and horses were trained in the area, before heading off on Crusades in the Holy Land.
In 1338, an inventory was taken of the Manor, showing it consisted of 368 acres, used for supporting cattle and sheep.
By 1700, it had become the seat of Sir William Wogan, who sold it to Peter Walter of Stalbridge Park, and in the early part of the 19th century passed to the Marquess of Anglesey.
In 1942, during the Second World War, the Templecombe railway line was bombed, and on that day thirteen people lost their lives, and others were injured. The Parish Church, Congregational Church, two hotels and sixty houses were damaged.