The Teutonic Castle of Kowalewo Pomorskie in Poland, was built around 1231 of wooden construction, and enhanced by an earth stronghold. In 1262 and again in 1269-73, this wooden castle stood up and was successful in repelling; Lithuanians, Bartians and Yotvingian invasion forces. In 1275 the castle and adjoining settlement, received town rights from the Teutonic Knights. In 1278 Kowalewo became the seat of Rudolf, the Teutonic Commander. In 1286 the Castle and Town was totally destroyed by the Tatars. In 1288 Arnold Kropf became the next Teutonic Comander, and he is remembered for the building of a new castle, built out of stone. Surrounded on three sides; east, west and south by a walled moat, and a lake on its north side. On the eastern side, was the city whose fortifications were linked to the castle. It was completed for the Grand Master, one Gotfryd Hohenlohe.
In the year 1330, during the Polish Teutonic war, the castle was besieged by Polish knights under the command of king Wladyslaw Lokietek. As much as they tried, the siege proved to be a fruitless attack. In the years 1410 and 1422, was occupied by king Wladyshaw II Jagiello, but always fell back into the hands of the Teutonic knights.
In the year 1454 the city was invaded by armies of the Prussian States, they who went on to form a rebellion against the Teutonic Knights.
Following the “Thirteen Years War” the castle found itself within Poland’s borders, becoming the seat of the starosts, and municipal courts of the Chelmno Province.
It was damaged and plundered during the 17thcentury Swedish wars. In the 18thcentury Russian forces laid siege upon the city, and by 1772 few houses remained standing, with city walls, castle and church barely standing, it had become a scene of much destruction. In the mid 19thcentury, Prussian Authorities ordered it be pulled down, before it fell down.
Wikipedia Image: Teutonic Castle of Kowalewo Pomorskie